- Do you think there should be any sort of control over memes as intellectual property
- Do memes lower the standards for existing forms of communication? Do they desensitize creation of more original/unique content
- Can the sharing of meme be harmful amidst other cultures and society in itself
- Memes being used in a political context
- And a series of individuals who would not be seen using memes ex. President Donald Trump, are as a result of there impact and reach over individuals, this is distorting the political landscape in which political discourse takes place
“WE NEED TO TAKE INTERNET MEMES SERIOUSLY”
- Key thinkers of Cyber Culture
- Limor Shifman
- Creative vs. Imitative production
- Extended conversation
- Mediated conversations
WHAT ARE MEMES?
- Unit of cultural information
- For Dawkins “meme” became a necessary word to name the entity
MEMES AS BIOLOGY: as stated by Dawkins
- The meme is the equivalent of the gene,
- Spreading from brain to brain that dies away like chicken pock epidemic
- The spread of a craze, clothes fashion, a tune, like, awesome is like the memetic representation of a gene
WHERE DOES MEME COME FROM?
- 1976: “key’ biological term with publication of Richard Dawkins THE SELFISH GENE
HOW ELSE HAVE MEMES BEEN DISCUSSED?
- Non- scientific
- Malcom Gladwell
- Researcher on internet culture
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO DISTUINGUISH BETWEEN BIOLOGICAL AND CULTURAL MEME?
- Criticism of the biological concept
- Has died out all together as a topic of interest to discuss
- Theologian Alister McGrath
WHAT MEMES FORMS EXIST? (WHAT CAN BE CONSIDERED A MEME)?
WHAT IS MEME BEHAVIOUR:
- Behaviours correspond to varying degrees of cognitive engagement – which gets us away from the deterministic model
- Reception and production predicated on digital literacy, cultural literally and “vernacular creativity” (Burgess)
- Intervention in media products leading to modification and descent of memetic media
HIERARCHY OF BEHAVIOUR DIAGRAM:
- Humans may get a neurochemical reward from sharing information, and significally bidder reward from disclosing their own thought, feelings than from reporting someone else’s – Harvard Researchers
MEMES AND DETERMINISM:
- The production and spread of biological memes provokes consideration of biological determinism
- “thought virus” ] “meme as gene”[ see also Milner page 21
- What control their transmission, the person or the mem?
- To some extent, in Dawkins version, we are passive recipients of meme, hosts for the self-centred replication
WHERE DO MEMES COME FROM – DIAGRAM: