Reading: Chapter 2 in Humphreys
- Media Convergence
- Media Ecology
- Technological Determinism
Web 2.0 – a historical turn in the way that we are participating in digital media – a cultural era that relies on technological advances
Platforms – a system that coordinates the exchange of information between two or more groups of people
Convergence – the integration of ways of communicating information across social media platforms
What is social media?
Social media goes beyond private, dyadic communication and it usually happens in a public or semipublic forum.
Social media platforms are owned by companies, but social media as a form of communication cannot be limited to a certain business.
Social Media Studies
- Social media as a term emerges only in about 2007 – previous to this we talked about “networking sites”
- Social media as a set of practises for communication – proposal from Humphreys
- Trend toward a sociological perspective in studying social media rather than a technological perspective
Models of Communication
Traditional Model of Communication:
Social Media Communication Model
The study of media as an environment.
A medium is a technology within which a culture grows, it gives form to a culture’s politics, social organization, and habitual ways of thinking.
- Technological determinism – the technology determines the way people use it rather than the other way around
- Technology determines our situation
- “The interactions of individuals are structured by contrasts in communication technologies, legal structures and social norms”
- Rooted in causality
Causality has been a central concept in media studies since its inception.
Three forms of causality
- Teleological (everything is pre-determined)
- Mechanical (one variable leads to the next, and leads to the next, and to the next)
- Non-linear (ripple effect)
- You couldn’t have the computer without the abacus, you couldn’t have the plant without the seed
- Linear cause and effect
- Cyclical, interpolating
- Butterfly effect
- Individuals’ interaction create the environments
- This is basically the inverse of determinism
- Anthony Giddens is the first to develop this theory
- Individual vs collective
- Personal vs Mass
- Free will vs control
Three key differences between traditional and social media models